What's your Favorite Food?

Thursday, January 29, 2015

HDR Photography

Some of you might be wondering what that little setting on your camera that says HDR does. Well HDR itself means "High Dynamic Range" which is fancy for the ratio of light in your photograph. When taking HDR photos, you don't just take one photo, but three or more photos at different exposures. What makes HDR photos so special is that when you combine those images together, it creates a surreal image thats pleasing to the eye. HDR photos add light to the spots that need more light and darkness to the spots that need more darkness to create a mysterious, yet beautiful picture. What I like about HDR is that it can turn a boring image with no effects, and turn it into a fascinating picture that brings out the natural part of the image and makes it look more real, yet dream-like.

Now even though I gave you a brief explanation on how HDR works, I feel like I should explain it more. So once you find a picture-worthy place and set up your camera, you find the exposure setting. I recommend taking five different photos at different exposures. The first image is at a low exposure
, the next picture you go up one or two notches, the next go higher, and so on and so fourth, until you've taken the right amount of photos that you want. None of the photos should be the same exposure when taking HDR photos. Now if you have an automatic HDR function, it makes it a whole lot easier. Automatic HDR basically does all that manual stuff for you. It takes multiple pictures at different exposures and combines those pictures into one image. Now while this may be very helpful, I have seen that taking manual HDR photos tend to look better than the automatic HDR photos. But that's just my opinion...

The landscape HDR photo that I took myself, looks pretty surreal to me. I really like how it merged together even though I (for some odd reason) only had six photos instead of seven... Though I was really upset I only had thirteen photos instead of fourteen, I feel like I did fairly well. I think my landscape photo was better than my experiment photo, and the surrealism is very nice in both photos. The thought process behind the landscape photos is simple: I wanted it to look like a dream, but not the kind of dream where it's all nice and fairytale-like. It's the kind of dream where it's mysterious, yet beautiful. In my experiment photo, I wanted to pay attention to the detail.

My final picture that I put together in photoshop turned out alright. I could've done a lot more to make it better, such as paying attention to the rule of thirds, or maybe moving Rafael and Leila up a bit so Rafael's head is peeking out of the ocean and Leila is actually looking at the word "confidence". But the final image still turned out okay even though I could've made it better.




24 comments:

  1. nice landscape. I think you could've not included either Raf or Maya's head in the background. I also think you could've positioned Leila in the rule of thirds instead of where she is now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your landscape photo is beautiful! Very surrealistic. I think you could've made your text a little more bigger. But I think your cutout quality looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very surreal, maybe scooch her over to the left so shes not smack dab in the middle and add more text layer effects, Great superimposed image outcome though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome surrealism!
    A little bit creapy tho haha! and text could be bigger
    Great rule of thirds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very surreal.
    Maybe try placing Leila more in the rule of thirds.
    I really like how you included Raf in your superimpose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. she is sitting on water!! love the photo!over all great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! Awesome cursor! Anyways, I love how you made Raf peaking out from the rocks. One thing you could improve is where Leila is sitting, it kind of looks like she's floating in air. Overall, I love the photo's surrealism.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE LOVE the blue colors in the landscape photo! Great job on the rule of thirds and the surreality!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The final person! I like how your Super Impose is like a painting. Also Rafael's face at the rocks. TITANS!!!! Your subject could be moved a tad more to the left to a rules of thirds. The text could have been raised higher however, I really like the font. GREAT JOB! Your cut-out quality is decent and way better than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great surrealism and photos Kiara!
    I believe you could have improved on the placement of your text.
    Over-all great work... I especially like where you placed both of your subjects!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your landscape is just amazing that I can't figure out what to put in parenthesis, sky or the ocean! (Love the Sky And Ocean!) Yep, I did both like a boss.
    The surrealism in both photos are amazing, your Rule Of Thirds could be adjusted, but hey, Rafael is scaring me in the background! *Runs away from the image*
    But overall, your cutout is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is the picture of confidence. Anyway, awesome surrealism and custom layer effects. The text could be bigger though... nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome photos! I really like the use of surrealism in your pictures. I think that you could've improved the cut out quality, but I think all your photos are really well taken.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like your landscape! The surrealism is great.
    I think to improve your final outcome, you could have made your text bigger and move your horizon line up or down to follow rule of thirds.
    I like the way you aligned your text with Leila's eyes, making it look like she's looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome job making everything surreal! I feel like you could have made my face a bit less blurry (ew it's me) . Beautiful landscape, and totally accurate word choice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The background looks really good. You could of made the text bigger or moved it a little higher. Really interesting experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. great writing
    next time try to refine your edge
    great surelism

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cool landscape.
    Maybe remove Raf and place Leila over more so she's not hovering over the water.
    Great job though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like your landscape. The cutout of Leila could have been better. Nice surrealism.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the colossal titan in the background. In the background you could've removed your ghosts, and your text could've been better. Very surreal!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good job with the surrealism. The cut out quality could be refined some more, but your landscape is awesome. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The cut-out on the Leila could've been improved, but the Raf was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great landscape photo! I think you could of made the text larger but overall great job

    ReplyDelete